The 5th work party is now history. It was a great day for gardening. I was having one of the busiest weeks of my life and I wasn’t sure how I could fit in 6 hours at the garden. Once we got started, though, the weed pulling action and the feel of the sun just massaged my stress away. Dirt therapy! The truth is, I needed that.
John and I were lonely in the morning but we didn’t mind. I think I needed some alone time, too. By the time Stephanie came, freshly and brightly, I was replenished and ready to meet a new neighbor. Then Alex came, and Andy and Cecilia-thanks! Andy always brings the power! I love people who love to work 🙂 So the train finally left the station and the wheelbarrows were in constant motion for several hours. We laid down some excellent second hand, but in really good condition, weed barrier in the front (courtesy of landscaper Donnie-thanks for that, and the tile!) John spent the morning redoing the first part of the hill landscape because the cardboard we used the first time was inadequate for the purpose and the hill was re-grassing itself. I spent the morning weeding the front and getting it pretty for the GARDEN TOUR THIS SATURDAY!! Stephanie took that task over for me. Even her weed piles were need and orderly.
The theme of the day seemed to be hating to do the same thing twice-like moving the same chunks of concrete or the same brick pile over and over again. Sisyphus came up more than once. At the end of the day we saw the difference and spread out a bunch of great Sedum that was donated by neighbor/gardener Connie (Thank you!) I finished up the Apple tree wooded container and we called it a day. Here it is a few days later and the sprinkles are here to help our Sedum take root.Thanks for a great day, everyone.
We have one scheduled work party left for Sunday, June 30th, 10-4. After that there will be fewer shorter parties on some Saturdays. We’d do it every day all day if we could but we have to balance this with our careers! Look for a new flier and online postings of July and August dates in the coming weeks. Once again, though, if anyone would like to step up to an administrative role and plan additional work parties, we’d love that. Our current goal is to get the entire surface of the lot covered with barrier (weed fabric or cardboard), dirt and bark mulch by the end of August. By that time it would be great to have all of the materials organized in their spots, landscape the front triangle and hillside and have our water cistern operational (that is this week I hope). In late August we may be having raised beds and a shed built so that is the reason for the ground cover deadline.
Here are a few pics from last Sunday, courtesy of Stephanie:
And here is that finished wooden sided apple tree raised bed: