Thirteen plots are now available for the March 2016-February 2017 year! They are 4’x8’x2’ cedar beds filled with 4 way soil from Mt. Scott Fuel and lined with plastic sheeting. Wide, flat paths can accommodate a wheel chair. Before you sign up for a bed, be sure you know what you are getting into:
- Did you know that the FPCG is built up from an asphalt lot and that all of our water comes from two cisterns? That makes us extremely water conservative. Can you handle that?
- Did you know our property is owned by ODOT (who permit the use of the land to the Foster Powell Neighborhood Association) and that there are likely still tanks beneath the asphalt from a gas station in the 60’s? We will never be de-paving this lot!
- Did you know that you will be expected to participate in volunteer garden maintenance, about 10 hours a year, in addition to the plot rental fee of $25? We also have two events, April 17th and June 19th, that we need help with. Are you ready to help?
- Did you know that the reason for this unlikely garden is to bring energy and beauty to one of the busy entrances to the Foster-Powell neighborhood? Can you bring it?
- Did you know that what we are doing here is a bit experimental? An orientation/potluck on March 20th will tell you all about it. Are you ready to learn about native plants, cisterns and rain gardens?
- Did you know that you don’t have to own a home or live in the neighborhood to participate in this or any neighborhood association activity. We hope to have some apartment dwellers/renters and people who could use some outdoor space. All are welcome.
If this excites you and you’re ready to commit to a plot for this year, here’s what you do: Print out the FPCG_liability_waiver and the last page of the FPCG_rules_signatures. READ, sign and deliver them to the address listed on the rules page, with your check for $25 made out to SE Uplift (our neighborhood fiscal sponsor) and put Foster Powell Community Garden in the memo line.
Plots are first come, first serve and they may go fast. I recommend hand delivering your request to my mailbox (a block from the garden-address is on the signature page)! You’ll get a confirmation email in about a day. Another announcement will be circulated when we are full.
Looking forward to gardening and building community with you this year!